Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Should armed security be allowed in school?

The NRA posted this new commercial criticizing Obama's stand for no guns in school. They try attacking President Obama by saying his children have armed security so why can't ours? I think the NRA is over their heads. We don't want guns in school in the first place so why would we want armed guards? Some children do not feel safe going to school, like the kids from Sandy Hook in New York. I do not believe that armed guards greeting me everyday would make me feel safe. I would be concerned; I would constantly wonder why we need armed guards.

I do believe in taking preventive measures. I am still waiting to see how New York's new measures work, but I believe talking to students before a problem escalates is the answer. If your very next thought is that you never know who will be the next kid or teen to bring a gun to school then you are not paying attention. It is the parents' and teachers' job to pay attention and take a special interest in all students. Living the life of a teenager is not easy, and I am sure most of you can remember your middle and high school experiences. Teenagers need role models and any of us could fit the mold. Take the time and get to know your children and students. Together we can stop violence in schools.

Here is the NRA commercial:
NRA Ad

No comments:

Post a Comment